SOUTH DAKOTA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICE OF HIGHWAY SAFETY NEW DRIVER CAMPAIGN: OFFICIAL SWEEPSTAKES RULES
1. ELIGIBILITY: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Sweepstakes, you must be: a) a lawful U.S. resident of South Dakota between 18 and 19 years of age as of the date of entry; or b) a lawful U.S. resident of South Dakota between the ages of 14 and 17 years of age as of the date of entry with consent from a parent or legal guardian. Sweepstakes is void where restricted or prohibited by law. Employees of the South Dakota Department of Public Safety, Lawrence & Schiller, and the South Dakota Broadcasters Association (and immediate families (i.e. parents, children, siblings, spouse) and members of their households (whether related or not)) are ineligible to participate in this Sweepstakes. Any person, who in the sole discretion of the sponsors, provides false, misleading, or incomplete information, or otherwise fails to comply with the Sweepstakes Rules, is automatically disqualified from participating without right of appeal.
2. ENTRY PERIOD: Sweepstakes begins 12:00:01 a.m. Central Daylight Time (“CDT”) on April 1, 2022, and ends 11:59:59 p.m. CDT on April 30, 2022 (“Promotional Period”).
3. HOW TO ENTER: There is one (1) way to enter: ONLINE: Participant must visit www.DriveSafesSD.com/Lesson-Learned during the Entry Period and pass the entry quiz about safe driving with a minimum score of three (3) out of six (6) correct answers. An optional video titled “Don’t Crash the Party” will also be available for participants to watch. If a participant shares the contest information with a friend, that participant can receive additional Sweepstakes entries. A participant can be awarded a maximum of ten (10) additional Sweepstakes entries, equaling a total of eleven (11) entries.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: GRAND PRIZE: One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded. The Grand Prize will be $10,000. All federal, state, and local tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the Winner. No transfer or substitution of the Prize is permitted, except by Sponsors in their sole discretion. The Grand Prize winner will be issued an IRS Form 1099 from the South Dakota Broadcasters Association.
FIRST PRIZE: One (1) First Prize will be awarded. The First Prize will be $10,000. The First Prize will be awarded to an appropriate school sponsored or approved service club, athletic club or team, or student activity group to be nominated by the winner of the Grand Prize. The Sponsors retain full and unfettered discretion to determine the appropriateness of a group or organization nominated by the Grand Prize Winner to be the First Prize Winner. No decision of the Sponsors as to the appropriateness of awarding the First Prize is appealable, and all participants agree to waive any and all liability or claims against the Sponsors in exercising their discretion. The $10,000 will be awarded directly to the selected organization, or to the sponsoring/approving school for use only by the selected organization. All federal, state, and local tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the Winner. No transfer or substitution of the Prize is permitted, except by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Each First Prize winner will be issued an IRS Form 1099 from the South Dakota Broadcasters Association.
5. RANDOM DRAWING: A total of one (1) Grand Prize Winner will be selected in a random drawing among all eligible online entries. The drawing will be held shortly after the conclusion of the Promotional Period, on or about May 1, 2022. All drawings will be carried out by the Sponsors, whose decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. Except as may be substituted according to these rules, the Prize is guaranteed to be awarded.
The Grand Prize Winner will be notified by telephone or email. If a potential Winner cannot be reached within ten (10) business days excluding holidays and weekends from the first notification attempt, then such person shall be disqualified and an alternate Winner will be selected. Prizes will be awarded to the selected Winner only. Winners may not assign or designate another recipient for the Grand Prize. The selected Grand Prize Winner will then nominate a winner of the First Prize. The winner of the First Prize will be notified by phone or email. By entering the Sweepstakes, Participants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes.
6. PRIZE CONDITIONS: There is a limit of one (1) Grand Prize. No additional substitution for any prize, other than those permitted by the Rules, will be permitted. If a prize notification is returned to Sponsors as undeliverable or if a participant is found to be ineligible or declines acceptance of the Prize for any reason, an alternate Winner will be selected. All entry forms and the information contained in the forms shall become the sole property of the Department of Public Safety’s Office of Highway Safety to be used, disposed of, or destroyed at its discretion. By entering this Sweepstakes and/or accepting the Prize, the Winner hereby consents to the Department’s reasonable use of the Winners’ photograph, voice, likeness and/or image, hometown address (for verification of eligibility under the Sweepstakes rules), contents of the entry form and the name and age of the Winner. All Winners agree that the Department may broadcast or publish their name, city of residence, photo, video tape, film or any other likeness, including their voice, recorded or live, for any reason the Department deems necessary without compensation. All participants further agree to hold the Department harmless and without liability for such publication, broadcast or use. The parent or legal guardian of any Winner under the age of eighteen (18) hereby agrees to sign all necessary release forms for use of the above information related to the minor participant, including release of liability.
7. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning will depend upon the total number of eligible entries received for the sweepstakes.
8. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: By entering the Sweepstakes, participant, and the parent or legal guardian of each minor participant, hereby affirms that he or she has read and agrees to abide by the Official Sweepstakes Rules and will abide by the decisions of the Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any participant acting in violation of the Official Sweepstakes Rules or found tampering with the entry process or with the operation of the Sweepstakes or the website. The Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of South Dakota and, by entering, all Winners and participants hereby submit to South Dakota state court jurisdiction and venue in Circuit Court, Sixth Judicial Circuit, Hughes County, South Dakota. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE RELATED TO SPONSORS OR THE SWEEPSTAKES OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM SUCH PARTICIPANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Violations of any rules or attempts to win by fraud, deception, or cheating shall result in disqualification of that individual from participating in the current and all future Sweepstakes or contests at the sole discretion of the Sponsors as well as forfeiture of any prize(s) won by fraudulent means. All participants further agree, and the parent or legal guardian of each minor participant hereby agrees, that all e-mail addresses or social media accounts provided as part of the entry form may be retained by the Department for an unlimited period of time and used to send official campaign materials and promotional messaging unrelated to this Sweepstakes; such messages will normally contain an option to unsubscribe to further messages. All participants agree that the Department may broadcast or publish their name, city of residence, photo, video tape, film or any other likeness, including their voice, recorded or live, for any reason the Department deems necessary without compensation. All participants further agree to hold the Department harmless and without liability for such publication, broadcast or use. The parent or legal guardian of any participant under the age of eighteen (18) hereby agrees to sign all necessary release forms for use of the above information related to the minor participant, including release of liability.
9. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Neither Sponsors, their affiliates, directors, officers nor agents are responsible for any entry that is late, incomplete, invalid, or undeliverable, whether due to system errors, omissions, interruption, deletions, defects, delay in operations or transmissions, theft or destruction or failures, faulty transmissions or other telecommunications malfunctions, human error, entries not received resulting from any hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or telephone transmissions, typographical or system errors and failures, faulty transmissions, technical malfunctions, or otherwise. Only fully completed entries are eligible. Multiple entries by one individual shall render all entries from that individual ineligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Sweepstakes in the event that it becomes necessary due to circumstances beyond Sponsors’ control without any advance notice to the public or participants. In the event the Sweepstakes is terminated early, the Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received at the time of termination.
10. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By participating, all participants, and their parents or legal guardians if applicable, agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsors, and each of their respective subsidiaries, officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any and all claims made by the participants or any other third parties related in any way to the operation of this Sweepstakes, as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses (whether alleged, threatened, or actual) to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in this Sweepstakes.
11. WINNERS: To obtain the names of the winners, and for a copy of these Official Sweepstakes Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Lawrence & Schiller, 3932 S. Willow Ave., Sioux Falls, SD 57105. You may view the rules at the official Sweepstakes website: www.DriveSafesSD.com/Lesson-Learned/rules.
12. SPONSORS: South Dakota Department of Public Safety, Office of Highway Safety, 106 West Capitol Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota, 57501; and the South Dakota Broadcasters Association, PO Box 1037, Pierre, SD 57501.